Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

UPDATE

I'm Sonya's daughter. I'm coming to post for her to give you a brief update on where she's been.

She went in for a very routine endoscopy on Wednesday morning (9/9/09). Her stomach was punctured and the gases from the procedure leaked into her body. It caused a collapse of both her lungs and gases being trapped in her subcutaneous tissues (a condition called subcutaneous emphysema). Needless to say, she was in terrible pain.

The days following were crucial to make sure she didn't develop sepsis, and that her gut could rest (with the presence of an NG tube) so the puncture could heal without additional surgery, and the air in her tissues would resolve so she can regain lung function. They inserted 2 chest tubes to relieve the pressure on her lungs.

After repeat CT scans and x-rays, it seems as though the puncture was healing on it's own and she was getting better by the day. Yesterday they clamped off her NG tube and took out one chest tube. They should be taking the other tube soon and letting her eat real food. It looks like she'll be there for another day or two. But she's progressing and doing better.

Please continue to pray for her in her recovery and that she should be home soon.

10 comments:

Busym1 said...

I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm rather new to her blog, and just thought I'd stop in to visit, and saw your post. Thank you for letting everyone know! I am sending a prayer that she gets well soon! michelle

Inna D. said...

Get well soon, we're praying for you!

Michelle Pearson said...

oh my! .....so sorry to hear of all you've been through!! You are in our thoughts....wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Lisa Phillippi llelsik@aol.com said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear that, I will be praying for you Sonya.

Anonymous said...

Please,
Tell Sonya that there will be a person here in Brazil praying for her. Soon she will be back to delight us with her wonderfull works.
Leticia

Custom Quilling Supplies said...

Please send your mom my wishes for a speedy recovery!
Thank you so much for the update.

Bronwyn Mitchell said...

Sorry to hear about Sonya being in such a serious situation.
Hope she recovers fully.
Best wishes from an admirer of her quilling
Bronwyn

Ann Martin said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about this! I hope Sonya is feeling much better by now and will be home soon. Please give her my best wishes and let her know I'm thinking of her.

JD/ Jill said...

My goodness, Your Mother has been through an awful lot...I will definitely add her to my prayers...

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope things are going well for you and continues to do so!! My thoughts are with you!!