Pages

Monday, November 10, 2008

Paper Punch Flowers


I had a wonderful time at Scrappily Ever After in Temple, TX taking a Punched Floral class with Susan Tierney Cockburn the author of The Paper Bouquet. I naturally am intrigued with floral punch flowers because of my love of quilling and I use punch flowers with it. So when I saw that there was a class withing driving distance and given by the author I had to go!



I wasn't disappointed. The class was held at a great scrapbook store, Scrappily Ever After, http://www.scrappilyeverafter.com/ . Cheryl, the owner, has a great room to hold classes and has a lot of great goodies to purchase including the punches from The Punch Bunch that are used in The Paper Bouquet to make the beautiful flowers. Susan comes down from Washington state to teach floral punch and there are wonderful examples of what can be made from these punched flowers as you can see from the pictures above. This craft is so versatile in what can be made and adorned with these lifelike creations.


The first class was for a tin calendar that had interchangeable scallops with the months and a different flower that was attached via the magnet that held the scallop in place on the tin. It is so cute, easy to make and makes a great gift! To Jody, my sister, and my Aunt Sandy, I guess you now know what you will be getting next month!


The next class was making cards and gift tags using the flowers and rubber stamps made especially for these flowers. Susan is a great teacher and punched all the shapes out for the class so that all we would have to do is assemble the flowers!


The hollyhock flowers on the pink card were made with coffee filter paper. It gives the flowers an airy delicate look. The color comes from Luminarte H2O's water colors. I love these sparkling water colors. You just take a watercolor brush, the kind that you fill with water, and squeeze some water onto the dry cake of color and let it sit a moment, swirl it around with the brush tip and then paint the coffee filter punch with it. The sparkle shimmer effect is beautiful. These come in over 100 colors and two sizes of pots. Back here at home I tried out these paints by making a hydrangea and sweet peas. Both were beautiful and will be another great version.





Pictures from the morning and afternoon class, with Susan standing.
I hope to be able to take another class from Susan next year. The class was fun and informative and while we were busily assembling the flowers we also tried to solve the worlds problems as only we women can. What did we come up with? Well, we came to the conclusion that we couldn't and that crafting was much more fun!

Comments are always welcome.

Shalom,

Sonya

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sonya,

I love your flowers. They are beautiful! My favorite paper techniques are punch art and quilling. I have a copy of Paper bouquet. It is a fantastic book. I will be using the poinsettia to make my holiday cards.

Tara in Kansas

Chris Scrappin and Stampin in Texas said...

Hi There!
Glad to found your blog. Remember me? LOL, I was in the Susan Tierney class with you. Great photos. I am in the process of downloading mine. HAve a great week. chris

Sonya said...

Tara,
Thank you for your comments, I would love to see your poinsettia cards when you are finished with them!

Chris,
Yes I do remember! We had so much fun in the class. I hope to be able to take another and see you there to get to know you better. I would love to see your pics also!

Keep bloomin',
Sonya

JoAnnC. said...

Pretty stuff! And I was secretly hoping to get some of your quilling for Christmas!