Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Golden Hanukkia

Hi all back with a project that I was waiting to post until today, the First day of Hanukkah!  It was one of the projects that was for the Custom Quilling newsletter last month.  Tomorrow I will post a project from this months newsletter that I must say is my favorite so far.  But back to today, I used 1/8" gold edged white quilling strips to make my hanukkia and mounted it on a gold cardstock die cut mat.  It was very easy to do, much easier than the 3D hanukkia that I did last year! I took the picture at a slight angle so the quilling would show better and it looks a little catywampus, that is Texas for "a bit crooked"! The gold mat is popped up on another mat that was cut from a white pearlescent patterned paper.  Some gold gel pen, gold pearls and ribbon and it was finished.  These metallic edged strips are fast becoming a favorite!

Below is a picture of our hanukkia lit for the first night.  I have my mantle decorated in silver and blue with blue lights.  I changed the lights this year to LED's and they are really brighter and the second picture is with the lights in my den off and just the hanukkia lit with the blue lights.  My husband says it's kinda erie looking but in reality it is very pretty.  Blue is my favorite color so I like it!



I also have hanukkias and Star's of David hanging from the ceiling.  The grand kids made them out of popsicle sticks that we spray painted blue then glittered in sliver and blue.  The LED's shine little blue spotlights all over and my grandson Ephram commented how there were stars and menorah shapes in the lights.  He was right, these new LED's shine throw shadows of the hanging menorahs and stars on the ceiling that dance in the spotlights. The "erie" picture shows these "spotlights" on the fireplace.  You know me, I love anything sparkly and shiny!! Below is a picture of them from last year and you can see the mantle and my other hanukkia. We also have an electric one for the window that has flicker flame bulbs that one of our neighbor's little daughter watches from outside and loves to see each night lit.


I saved the best for last.  My daughter sent these pictures to me today.  I couldn't resist posting them.  I as her nana, of course, am prejudice, but I think that this is the cutest Yoda baby there is.
 


Yoda baby aka Chaiya Violet uses the "Force" of cuteness to get what she wants and when she doesn't she starts to turn to the "dark side" to enforce her rule of the "empire".  But the "empire strikes back" and uses the "force" for good and luls her into a nap. Cuddly as an "ewok".  If you are wondering who she favors in the family, she is a "clone" of her daddy. He is the same one that I made the Star Wars Tie Fighter for and loves all things Star Wars.  My daughter has always cringed when I watch my Star Trek reruns, and now DVDs, over and over, all the years that she was growing up, and still do.  Funny how she married a Star Wars fanatic! Love it!

Thanks for indulging the nana with the "cute baby pictures" and Happy Hanukkah for those who celebrate this week!  More later!

Shalom,
Sonya
Thanks for visiting, if you have any questions please email me at the link on the sidebar.

9 comments:

Lana said...

hi! I love your quilling! But most I like pics of Yoda baby! =) very very cute!

Ann said...

Happy Hanukkah, Sonya! Your little yoda-baby is absolutely the cutest thing ever. And how funny/nice that her dad takes after you. ;-) Life is like that sometimes! Very lovely card and decorations. Is the gilded paper you used the Touch of Gold from Lake City? It looks nice and shiny.

Sonya said...

Yes, the gold edged strips are Lake City Touch of Gold! Love these strips!

Anonymous said...

Awwww!!
She is just too cute Sonya....as you said the cutest little yoda around!!

Happy Hanukkah!
Sue C.

Lisa Lara said...

Oh my goodness....your blog is quilling heaven Sonya! Wow. I cracked up at your comment on my blog about your cockatiel taking a noisy bath. Hee. Thanks for visiting. Your creations blow me away!!!!!!!!!!!

Custom Quilling Supplies said...

Sonya your little yoda is adorable... I'm so happy to finally see a picture of her!
Happy Hanukkah to you all... enjoy!
Denise

Inna D. said...

Happy Hanukkah, Sonya! Your Hanukkia card is gorgeous! And Yoda baby is so sweet :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL card!!! TFS! :-)

Jessica said...

I agree that is the cutesd little Yoda yet!
I'm glad I found your site for more than just quilling!
I would love to learn about your Hanukkah celebration. If you wouldn't mind teaching. Just the other day I asked my boyfriend (who reads and remembers everything) if he knew what the significance of the Blue and Silver was. He didn't know which surprised me. I don't have any friends who could answer for me either. I'm sure there is a good website I could go to also. Do you know of one? Thanks for sharing your holiday celebrations with us.