Friday, March 13, 2009

Red Geranium Floral Punch Card

Hi all, I made this card for Lisa Phillippi's 3D Flower Blog Candy Challenge, see here . Her challenge was to make a card with a 3D flower and I chose to do one of my favorite techniques using coffee filters and Twinkling H2O's. First I punched out my geranium petals with a 4 leaf clover punch out of 4 layers of coffee filters. I used the flat triangular shaped ones not the fluted cup shape. Next, I used a waterbrush and Hot Cinnamon Twinkling H2O's to paint the flower petals. Twinkling H2O's give the flowers a beautiful sparkle. Letting them dry I then used my stylus to shape and cup the petals on the back side, then turned them over and used the stylus in the middle of the petal to cup it. Next, I added a center to each flower with a gold gel pen.
*
The base panel for the geraniums is punched out of a Scalloped Rectangle Nestabilities die in a cream colored card stock. I used Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distressed Ink on the edges. Next, I punched 3- 1" circles out of red paper and cupped it to make a round shape and then glued my flowers to each forming my geranium flower heads.
*
Using a long doll making needle, found at any craft or hobby store, I spiral quilled stems by winding a 1/8" quilling strip around it. I punched the leaves out of a two sided green card stock using the lighter side and then dry embossed the veins and highlighted them with a green Prismacolor pencil. Using a brick red chalk I highlighted the edges of the leaves. I dry fitted the flower and leaves positions, layering the leaves and then glued all of them down.
*
Next I made blooms by using the same punch and "gathered" it, gluing it into a quilled base, using three of these glued together on a spiral stem and added these to the geraniums. After layering the DP onto the card base I tied a wire edge ribbon bow to the right side of the card and adhered the geranium panel over it offset to the left. The sentiment is layered and is cut with the Scalloped and Standard Nesties Rectangles, DP, cream card stock with tea dye edges. Small bronze flower brads are used on each corner and is popped up with dimensionals. The dimensional quality of the card isn't showing well in the picture but the geraniums are rounded half ball and the sentiment is set off nicely.
*
This is a fun technique and can be used to make many flowers. See my other posts on "Floral Punch" for ideas and pattern books. You have until March 15th to play along for a try to win her Blog Candy, hope to see your project there!
*
We will be out of town for Spring Break and not have internet unless we go into town and find a wi-fi hot spot, so I won't be able to respond until we get back. But don't let that stop you from commenting or contacting me at the link on the side bar, I'd love to hear from you! If you enter a card in Lisa's challenge let me know so I can be sure to look it up! Have a safe Spring Break!

*
Posting when we get back!
*
Shalom,
*
Sonya
Comments welcome!

4 comments:

Archana said...

The flowers look so real... It feels like they are coming straight from your garden.. But the best part is that these flowers wont dry.

I loved your card. You always create wonderful things.

Lisa Phillippi said...

Wow...I just love the geraniums! My mom allways had red geraniums in the windowsill. These are just beautiful! Thanks for entering the challenge!

2Tibetans said...

WOW! I'm glad I just found your site. What a beautiful card.

Anne said...

Wow, your cards are amazing! I found your blog by accident while posting a card on SCS...where I found another blog where you had entered the 3-D flower challenge, and you won! So I had to check it out. Love your work!