Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Calling Nurse Appel!

Hi all, my youngest daughter is in nursing school 2 1/2 hours away from home and needs to study, are you listening daughter dear, study hard to graduate. The study time is precious and every bit is needed so, she doesn't come home very often so she can spend as much time as possible studying. She misses the family and loves to get mail and called us suggesting that we send her some! So I made her this card and am sending it today. I guess I will have to call Rachel and tell her not to look at my blog until I tell her it is ok to look, so she is surprised!
*
The bear is die cut using the Sizzix "Get Well" die set and I used Prismacolor pencils and OMS to shade his feet and tummy. He was popped up on the red scallop and blue rectangle Nestie layers using dimensionals. I added three silver brads and a white twill bow. If you have every had a hospital gown on, you would recognized the twill tape used for tying it closed, or should I say try to tie it closed, lol! Next I printed out the sentiment "I need a nurse, do you know where I can find one?" on my printer and layered it onto a red scallop Nestie. The colors are not showing well and the navy and dark brown look black, I need to get better lighting!
*

On the inside of the card I made a bookmark for her to use. Again, I used the rectangle and scallop rectangle Nesties to make the base layers. On this base I put the nurse die cut from the same Sizzix set as the bear. Finishing the bookmark with four silver brads and a twill ribbon with red punch hearts. The inside of the card has the answer to the sentiment on the front and says "Calling Nurse Appel", "Calling Nurse Appel".

While I was making this card, my husband was out riding his off road bicycle and came in just before I finished it. I asked him how he liked it. He gave me a funny look and I thought "was it that bad?" He said, "Well, I think I need one." I new exactly what he was talking about because on New Years Day he and Rachel had gone out riding bikes and he came home hurt from a fall and had a separated shoulder! Ewew, it creeped me out looking at it!

So, when he told me that he needed a nurse I knew we were going to go back to the ER. He fell on the SAME SHOULDER!!!!! It was just starting to heal! This time he fractured his scapula, something the E.R. Dr. said was hard to do, and tore the shoulder even more! He is officially grounded from his bike! We are waiting for to get into a ortho dr. to see what needs to be done to it. He signed the card saying he does need a nurse and I hope this "prophetic" card brightens my daughters day despite her daddy's injury! See, I knew all that money we spent sending her to become a nurse would be well spent and having a nurse in the family would come in handy one day. I just didn't think it would be so soon!

Thanks to all who leave me encouraging comments, they brighten my day!

Until the next post,

Shalom,

Sonya

Comments are always welcome, click on "comments" to leave one!

2 comments:

JoAnnC. said...

That card is absolutely precious! She'll love it, I'm sure.
Good gravy, tell Mason that bikes are for kids! Kids are more resilient and closer to the ground than us old folks. Hope he heals soon!

Rachel said...

Thank you momma! I love you and I love the card. It did brighten my day! I have it tacked up to my cork board right now and showed it to my nursing buddies up here. Tell daddy to get better and not do any hard labor like he usually does. Also, Im going to have to check out those pretty cool x-rays. I love y'all!