Pages

Monday, July 6, 2009

Sunflower Wall Hanging

Hi all! This started out as a card and because of the size of the flower I decided that I would make it a wall hanging instead! If you have ever had a job you know that there are some bosses you just can't please no matter what you do! I made this for a friend that is having a hard time at work and I wanted to send her something that would cheer her day. I used Tracey's digi stamps Dahlias and printed them out onto yellow, orange and red cardstock. I love to make floral punch flowers and using FSS digi flower stamps is a great alternative to using punches, if you do not have any, for the petals! With this digi stamp set you get several sizes of dahlias, two petal shapes and leaves.
*
The petals of the flowers were cut apart easily and quickly giving me plenty of elements to make this sunflower. And the great thing about FSS digi stamps are that they can be resized to fit your project, so you have many design options! The petals were inked with orange on the yellow petals, raspberry on the orange petals and tea dye on the red petals. I cut out a brown Nestie scallop circle for the center of the sunflower and stamped the sentiment in a white ink. It didn't have the pop I wanted on the dark cardstock so I went over it with my white gel pen then added piercing and a gold gem. Next I cut out three Nestie circles, each one larger than the next to place my petals on, each color on a separate circle. Yellow glitter was added to the yellow petals to jazz it up a bit.
*
The first four petals were placed at 12, 3, 6, and 9 positions to start. Then I filled in the spaces between these four petals completing the layers and gluing the petal layers on top of each other. Then I added the sentiment center of the sunflower with two dimensionals stacked.
*
It might be hard to see in the picture but the brown layer is a metallic DP. A ribbon "stem" and "leaves" were placed under the flower with orange brad accents. My friend loves anything frilly and wants to redecorate her apartment with feminine frills and doilies. So, I cut the yellow card stock with a Martha Stewart border punch that looks like a doily. I added dots to it to further "frill" it up. Then I added the ribbon hanger so she can hang it in her cubicle or on her wall at home. Tomorrow I am having a class on floral punch here in my home for a few friends, I'll post their creations tomorrow!
*
Shalom,
*
Sonya
Comments are always welcome!

4 comments:

Tracey Lynn 'Fred' Miller said...

Awesome wall hanging, Sonya! Now you have my wheels turning! Good for you ;)

Hugs, Fred

Inna D. said...

Wow! This is so beautiful and summery!

Lisa Phillippi llelsik@aol.com said...

Wow..it's Beautiful! I am glad you made it a wall hanging...too many beautiful cards get tossed in a drawr & forgotten. A work of art like this should be displayed! Good Luck with the class- you will be great!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sonya, This is an awesome wall hanging. I did not take the time when you made it to properly thank you. So here it is THANK YOU!!. You are the greatest friend a girl could have. I love the wall hanging and it is in my Apt now as you know. Jobs come and go but friends like you cannot be replaced.
Shalom
Mel