Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Nod to my Czech Heritage


I have been doing some genealogy investigation on my fathers side and have found out that my great-grandfather and family immigrated from Bohemia, before it was a part of the Czech Republic. I am still trying to find more info but while I am running down any leads I decided to try make some Kolaches a fruit filled pastry made in that region.

I used this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kolaches-II/Detail.aspx and also some of the fillings from this one: http://www.recipezaar.com/Sweet-Kolache-Recipe-39387 . My first attempt is pictured above. The dough was light and very soft it came out perfect! I didn't put them close enough together to get the square sides as you traditional see but they came out great anyway. I made a second batch for our congregations Hanukkah party and made them smaller more bite size and put them closer together and they came out great also. But, the night that I made them it was VERY humid here in Houston and the dough was stickier than usual, I should have put a little more flour in the dough, so adjust if needed. I also "glazed" them with a liquid powdered sugar glaze, but they are great with out it if you decide not to!

Have fun and give them a try, it's a great recipe for beginners and they taste great! If you haven't already search out your heritage and try out a recipe from it! If you try making Kolaches post and let me know!

Until the next post, Shalom!

Sonya

Comments are always welcome I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

Paula B. said...

mmmm- kolaches! My grandma (of Polish/German descent) would often make these and we grandkids would gobble them down in no time flat. I assumed they were Polish...but I guess maybe 'Slavic' would be more accurate.

Not likely to try making kolaches any time soon, but just might go to the freezer to get the pirogi my mom helped me make this summer. That was a traditional Christmas food in my family.

Thanks for sharing about your kolache experience!